Software Installation Note:
Make sure your cart workstation USB port is connected to the USB port on the
MPM Power unit/controller installed in your cart. Download the Powervar
MPM View install package, and save it to the workstation desktop (or other
To download the latest software go to: http://connectivity.powervar.com/mpm/download.asp.
Select “Install MPMView (Windows XP/Windows 7)” to download.
Summary of Warnings
Please read all parts of this guide. When set-up is complete, do not discard guide. Please ﬁ le guide in secure place for future reference.
- Appropriate airﬂow is required for this unit to operate correctly under normal and fault conditions.
- Complies with requirements for US for outside the patient environment.
- Only authorized personnel, experienced in servicing electrical equipment should open the power system.
- DO NOT operate the power system without the covers completely installed and the connectors attached properly. The covers provide safety from potentially dangerous voltages and hot temperature.
- Do not connect or disconnect the system while power is applied. Do not open or in any other manner change the access to the internal portion of the system while power is applied.
- Do not allow the system to come in contact with ﬂuids. Do not operate the system if wet.
- The supplied spiral cord is rated for medical use. Connecting the cord to an outlet that is not medical grade (indicated with green dot) will not ensure grounding protection
- Spiral cord, power system and cart are for INDOOR use only. DO NOT OPERATE OUTDOORS.
- Inspect spiral cord before each use. DO NOT USE CORD IF DAMAGED.
- DO NOT plug more than the speciﬁed number of watts into spiral card cord.
- DO NOT run spiral cord through doorways or across walls or ﬂoors.
- Fully insert certiﬁ ed detachable spiral cord plug into outlet. DO NOT unplug by pulling on cord. For 250VA models, a type not lighter than SJT 18AWG should be used.
- DO NOT remove, bend or modify any metal prongs or pins of spiral card cord.
- DO NOT use excessive force to make connections.
- Keep spiral cord away from water. DO NOT PLUG CORD INTO OUTLET IF WET.
- Keep children away from spiral cord.
- DO NOT ALLOW CORD TO OVERHEAT.
- DO NOT drive, drag or place objects over spiral cord. Do not stand or walk on spiral cord.
- Breaking the seal on the battery to add water will damage the battery and could cause injury.
- Battery warranty is automatically void when a fully discharged battery is left in an unused state for more than three (3) consecutive days.
- The power system is designed for power cart mounted equipment only. DO NOT connect equipment that is not mounted on the cart into the power system outlets. DO NOT connect cart mounted equipment directly into a power source that is not mounted to the cart. DO NOT disassemble the MPM
Sealed Lead Acid Battery must be recycled.
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFe) Battery Disposal Battery recycling is encouraged. Dispose of in accordance with local, state and federal laws and regulations.
Transportation/Storage Store this system within a temperature range of 32˚ F - 90˚ F (0˚ C - 32˚ C); Pressure 500 hPa to 1060 hPA; Humidity 20% RH to 95% RH non-condensing.
Cart Disposal To dispose of this cart using the local guidelines and regulations for waste. Please contact Altus Customer Service for information: 1.888.527.1311
1. Height Adjustment Column
2. Highly Mobile 4”/100mm Single-Wheel Shrouded Casters
3. Height Adjustment Hand Lever
5. Large Thermofoil Worksurface Area
6. Keyboard Platform
7. Mousing Area
8. Integrated Bar Code Holder
9. LCD Monitor Support
11. Power System & Battery Compartment
12. Internal Technology & Cable Management
13. 3-Outlet Power Cord
14. Coiled Power Cord Holder
15. Battery Access Panel (back)
16. Up/Down Button Switch
Keyboard Platform Adjustment Instructions
1. The keyboard platform is tilted and stored at 90 degrees for shipping purposes only (See Fig. A).
2. To use:
Place both hands on each side of the keyboard platform and simply tilt to desired position and slide-out for use (See Fig. B).
Wired Keyboard and Mousing Routing Installation Instructions
1. Keyboard and Mouse Wire Management The keyboard platform and mouse tray are equipped with wire managers to keep wires in place (See Fig. A)
2. Keyboard and Mouse Wire Management to inside of technology storage area Feed both keyboard and mouse wires through access hole, located under the handle (See Fig. B).
Inside of technology storage area Once cables are through hole, pull through (See Fig. C). Auxiliary holes (See Fig. C).
Clio Laptop Stand (Only on C1 Model)
1. Open surface.
2. Remove “green” shipping tape (located in 4 locations) from Laptop Stand.
3. Remove Laptop Stand.
4. To install all cable into laptop, make sure that all cables are attached to laptop ﬁ rst then connect to appropriate connections within the Clio technology storage area.
When all of cables are managed, place Laptop Stand back into holes in storage area.
Clio Worksurface and LCD Monitor Support
1. Open front surface.
2. Place Flat Screen Monitor Support through the (2) holes in the rear work surface assembly.
3. Attach (2) 5/16-18” Flange Hex Nuts to bolts underneath the rear work surface assembly. Tighten with 1/2” Socket Wrench (preferred) or disposable 1/2” wrench (included).
Internal Cable Management
4. To manage cables within the Flat ScreenMonitor Support, remove back cable management cover.
5. To remove back cable management cover, remove 8-32 x 3/4” screw.
Do not discard.
6. Attach monitor to VESA plate using the included (4) Phillips Drive Flat Head Machine Screws. Choose length of screw by the depth of mounting location on back of monitor. If too long of screw is used, damage to monitor may occur.
Managing monitor cables:
7. Once monitor is attached. Adjust monitor to its highest position. Manage cables from monitor down and through cable management hole.
8. Reinstall back cover (Make sure to route the cables through the side access holes in cable management cover). Align screw hole in cover with screw boss. Use 8-32 x 3/4” Long Pan Head Machine Screw to fasten cover and Reinstall Adjustment Knob.
9. NOTE: For monitor height adjustment, make sure the adjustment knob is slightly loosened (Do not loosen all the way). For monitors weighing more than 10 lbs., tighten the adjustment knob when monitor is at desired height.
Monitor Support Installation Instructions
Clio Technology Storage Area with Tilting Monitor Support (Only on C6 Model)
1. Attach Monitor to Monitor Tilt Bracket.
2. Position the Monitor Tilt Bracket
as shown. Start the 3 Pem Studs (located on the back of bracket) into the 3 holes on the front of the Component Housing (there are two different heights; high and low). Secure Monitor Tilt Bracket using 3 Wing Nuts.
Internal Cable Management
3. Manage cables within Component Housing (left or right cable management holes).
Charging Your Cart
Once cart is fully set up with all electronic devices, it should be plugged into a medical grade outlet. The cart should fully charge before deploying (Note: All carts are shipped with a 30% charge. If storing in warehouse before deploying, charge fully).
While the cart is charging, the LED on the power system external user interface will ﬂ ash until the battery is 100% full.
For LiFe Batteries: Allow up to 2 hours to fully charge.
For SLA Batteries: Allow up to 5 hours to fully charge.
Testing Your Cart
To test your cart for power, the unit needs to be turned on. To do so, press and hold the
power button on the power system user interface for approximately 2 seconds.
The power system will beep and the far left LED light will turn on. At this point, all powered devices connected to the outlet strip should receive power. Once on, the LED Keyboard light may be used. Press to turn light on/off. The LED Keyboard light has a 5 minute timeout function just in case the light was not turned off by the operator.
Note: Monitors, laptops and other devices will need to be manually turned on.
Software Pre-Installation/Installation Note:
To download the latest software go to: http://connectivity.powervar.com/mpm/download.asp. Double-click the MPM View installer icon to start the install. MPM View will automatically detect the MPM power unit attached to the PC workstation USB port.
Power System Overview
Clio External User Interface
The easy-to-read battery user interface, which is located on the front surface of the cart handle, gives the user a real-time status of the battery. Each LED will illuminate in several sequences to indicate theapproximate charge level of the battery.
• The ﬁrst LED displays power on/off indicator
• LEDs two through ﬁve indicate charge level and correspond to a percent of charge range.
• Power Button (third to last button on right) - To power up, press and hold for 2 seconds, and the on/off Indicator will beep and power on.
To power down, press and hold for 2 seconds, and the on/off Indicator will beep and power off.
• Power Alert Mute Button (second to last button on right) - If the battery level falls below 10% for LiFe Battery an alarm will sound. This button will mute the alarm.
• Keyboard LED Light (last button on right) - To turn on, press button. The light will automatically turn off after 5 minutes or if button is pressed again.
Using the Power System
Power System Overview Continued
Battery Removal and Replacement
Only use batteries speciﬁ ed by ALTUS. Failure to do so will void the power system warranty. Call customer service for further details.
Do not replace battery in oxygen rich environments sparking may occur.
Always unplug the power cord from the wall outlet when removing the battery.
Tools Needed: 1/8” Allen Wrench
Step 1: Power Down System
A. T ourn ff any components plugged into cart
B. T ourn ff Power System by Holding On/Off Button for 2 seconds
Step 2: Long-term Storage (more than 2 months)
Warning: If cart will not be used for more than 2 months, turn off the cart by holding the ON/OFF Button. The battery will need to be recharged every 30 days to prevent damage.
Step 3: Remove back access panel by loosening and removing (2) screws (See Fig A).
Step 4: Remove back panel. Remove strap and slide battery from base (See Fig. B)
Step 5: To access battery cable (to disconnect from controller) loosen and remove (2) screws from the front panel fo base (See Fig. C)
Step 6: Disconnect battery harness from controller. (See Fig. D)
Step 7: Disconnect “blue” RJ45 cable from controller.
(See Fig. E). If replacing with a SLA battery, this step is not needed. If blue RJ45 cable cannot be accessed, the controller can be removed by loosening and removing (2) screws (See Fig, F). Oncescrews are removed, simple slide controller out and disconnect Blue RJ45 cable from slot.
(Note slot location for new battery cable).
Step 8: Replace with new battery and repeat Steps 1-7 in reverse order. Make sure all connection are secure (“clicking” them in place).
Battery and Power System Removal and Replacement
WARNING! DO NOT CONNECT THIS UNIT TO BATTERIES NOT SUPPLIED BY ALTUS
WITHOUT VERIFYING CONTROLLER SETUP AND OTHER OPTIONS WITH ALTUS.
If replacing the LiFe (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery with a SLA battery or SLA to LiFe,
the following steps need to be completed. If the MPM software has been installed, this will help with step #4.
1. All cables to and from controller must be connected, including the battery and its cables and connections.
Both the AC-In and AC-out connector ends include a locking feature to prevent from pulling apart. To disconnect pull back both “red” tabs. Note: Older models may not have this feature (red tabs) so simply disconnect.
Controller must ﬁ rst be OFF (no lights on the Remote User Interface) and connected into AC power. fI using the MPM Software use this step. If not, proceed to step 2.
Connect the USB cable into the technology component within the cart (or into a resident laptop with
the MPM software loaded).
2. Wait for the double yellow to appear on the interface.
3. When this happens, press and hold the mute button for 5 seconds. One “beep” will be made immediately. Within 3-5 seconds after the initial “beep”, a second “beep” will be heard.
Keep holding down the mute button until a scrolling light sequence appears (release mute button atthis time). This will look like all of the green LED lights going lighting up in order and then back off in order. When green light sequence is complete, the controller will showa Yellow LED and Green LED and then will shut itself off (all lights will turn off) and then will “Reboot” itself. When controllerreboots, the remote user interface will show the battery level of the connected battery.
4. The “battery reading for conﬁ rmation” will only be available if MPM View is being utilized.
The cart is ready to be used.
Diagnostics & Troubleshooting
This section includes a brief troubleshooting table and the complete list of events and condition codes that are logged and displayed in MPMView
The troubleshooting information provided in this section should help you discover the cause of most commonly encountered difficulties. Before following the troubleshooting steps provided, be certain that
- the MPM is connected to a properly working outlet, and
- the line voltage to the MPM is within specified boundaires.
Events & Conditions
The MPM will indicate the presence of Warning (yellow) and severe (red) Alarms and Conditions via the RUI and via the ClinicView taskbar application is shown below.
The specific alarm that is raising the Yellow or Red indicator will be logged and displayed locally in the TechView application (taskbar app, right click, Advanced) or over the network (LAN) via CIO/FleetView application.
The table below lists the specific alarms and what they mean.
Power System Removal and Replacement
Power System should only be accessed if approved by Altus
Always unplug the power cord from the wall outlet when removing the Power System.
Power System Removal
Phillips Head Screwdriver and 1/8” Allen Wrench
Step 1: Power Down System
A. Turn off any components plugged into cart
B. Turn off Power System by Holding On/Off Button for 2 seconds
Step 2: Unplug Power Cord from Wall Outlet
Step 3: Remove front panel (1/8” Allen Wrench needed)
A. Loosen and remove (2) screws from sides (See Fig A)
Step 4: Remove controller from base (Phillips Head Screwdriver needed)
A. Loosen and remove (2) screws (See Fig B)
B. For Ascend EL Carts, slide out controller (See Fig. B).
Step 5: Gently slide controller out of base.
Step 6: Disconnect Cables (6) from Power System
A. Unplug Black and Grey CAT 5 cables from unit (See Fig C)
B. Unplug Blue CAT 5 Smart Battery Cable from unit (See Fig C)
B. Unplug USB cable from unit (See Fig D)
C. Unplug Yellow cable from unit (See Fig D)
D. Unplug AC Input In/Out Power cords. (See Fig D)
Step 6: Remove Power System
Step 7: Replace with New Power System
Repeat steps 1-6 in reverse.
Cart will not power up:
- Plug power cord into a working hospital grade outlet. Note: Do not plug
into a multi-outlet surge distribution strip.
- Check to make sure power cord is plugged securely (See Fig. A).
- Check to make sure the Power System is charging when plugged in (See Fig. B). (Right four (4) Green LED lights will be ﬂashing if charging).
- Check to make sure all cables to the power system are secure (See Fig. C). the Blue (LiFe) RJ45 cable ends are secured/snapped into place. First end location is in the LiFe Battery (see Fig. 1). Second end location is in the power controller
- Make sure Power connection from the power controller is secure (Fig. D)
Both the AC-In and AC-out connector ends include a locking feature (red tabs) to prevent frompulling apart. To check the connections are secure, look at red tabs and pull back and make sure they are locked into place. Note: Older models may not have this feature (red tabs) so simply disconnect.
Cart will not charge:
- Check to make sure external spiral cord secure within the cart.
- Ensure outlet is functionally operational.
- Plug power cord into a working hospital grade outlet. Note: Do not plug into a multi-outlet surge distribution strip.
- Check and make sure the External User Interface (EUI) indicates the unit is charging when plugged in.
- If charge level is low (last one or two LED lights lit) let charge until full.
- If cart still does not charge, check to make sure all cables to the power system are secure.
- If cart still does not charge, resetting the controller is recommended (this is called a Hard Reset). To perform
a hard reset, disconnect the yellow battery terminals, wait for 10 seconds, then reconnect battery terminals. Make sure both end “click” together. Note: The Hard Reset will remove all current from being fed into the controller and will assist with a battery that remains in battery recovery mode.
Please sign in to leave a comment.